By Pierce Brown
Penguin Random House
Buy from Indigo
Description: As a Red, Darrow grew up working the mines deep beneath the surface of Mars, enduring backbreaking labor while dreaming of the better future he was building for his descendants. But the Society he faithfully served was built on lies. Darrow’s kind have been betrayed and denied by their elitist masters, the Golds—and their only path to liberation is revolution. And so Darrow sacrifices himself in the name of the greater good for which Eo, his true love and inspiration, laid down her own life. He becomes a Gold, infiltrating their privileged realm so that he can destroy it from within.
A lamb among wolves in a cruel world, Darrow finds friendship, respect, and even love—but also the wrath of powerful rivals. To wage and win the war that will change humankind’s destiny, Darrow must confront the treachery arrayed against him, overcome his all-too-human desire for retribution—and strive not for violent revolt but a hopeful rebirth. Though the road ahead is fraught with danger and deceit, Darrow must choose to follow Eo’s principles of love and justice to free his people.
He must live for more.
The Good Stuff
- If you don't love Darrow (and quite a few of the other characters) there might be something seriously wrong with you
- Hard to write this review as I loved the book so much I don't want to do it an injustice
- Incredible thorough and brilliant world building - it feels so very real and you kinda believe this sort of thing could happen
- Character development is fantastic. Love how Darrow is developing and his inner struggle with loving the Golds even though he originally is there to destroy them all. Makes me really think about growing up and understanding that there is so much gray and not everything is black and white
- Didn't think you could improve much on Red Rising but bloodydamn this installment is even better
- So intense that I could barely breath at times and literally on the edge of my seat. There were also many bouts of crying and yelling WTF (but in a good way)
- You really never know what is going to happen next and no one is safe my friends
- Btw if you get a chance listen to the audio versions of this series, the narrators Irish brogue brings this story even more to life (And quite frankly I wouldn't mind if the man read to me every night)
- Plenty of dark humour - seriously it would not surprise me if this author wasn't a fan of Firefly
- Strong female characters and men who appreciate that quality
- Introduction of some fascinating and loveable new characters. I loved Victra - such a snarky vicious bitch - and yes that is a compliment.
- Not important at all, but check out the author's picture, can you say yummy
- Author makes the violent fight scenes so poetic - I know never thought that phrase would come out of my mouth. Not to mention I could totally visualize these scenes. Not going to lie I normally skip over fight scenes, but not this time I felt like I was actually living them
- I will eat dirt if this series does not become a movie series - though I am always nervous when this happens as very rarely do the movies bring justice to these brilliant books. Though maybe my God, Joss Whedon, could do it. Sort of reminds me at times of something Joss Whedon and George RR Martin came up with
- All I can really say is this is a bloodydamn good book and get thee to a bookstore and pick up Red Rising and Golden Son and than don't leave your house till they are done
- Book will appeal to all age ranges and sex. Don't have to love science fiction or fantasy to come away with something
- I'd pick this series as my Staff Pick at work but it's already a Indigo Spotlight title - so not allowed too : (
The Not So Good Stuff
- Dude - George RR Martin called and mentioned that you might want to cut down on killing so many likeable characters
- It ended and now how long do I have to wait for the next book. Guys, I am old I cannot wait for things anymore
- Yeah, I might be saying bloody damn a lot - also reminds me of Joan as the story really has an Irish aspect to it - Miss you Joan
- Ok as a 44 yr old women I did want to smack Darrow upside the head with his indecisiveness
- Not a bad thing but a heads up - if listening to the audio version and um maybe walking your dog - shouting out holy shit might get you some stares and maybe um hypothetically speaking scare the shite out of some deer
Favorite Quotes (Feckin audible app crashed and I lost all my bookmarks so these are some I found that I loved)
“There is no greater plague to an introvert than the extrovert.”
“Anyway, all he's partial to sending is holograms of uniquely perverted unicorns and video clips of him reading puns. Pluto, if anything, has made him stranger.”
"He’d have me win for him, but I’d win for the Red girl with a dream bigger than she ever could be. I’d win so that he dies, and her message burns across the ages. Small order "
“For seven hundred years, my people have been enslaved without voice, without hope. Now I am their sword. And I do not forgive. I do not forget. So let him lead me onto his shuttle. Let him think he owns me. Let him welcome me into his house, so I might burn it down.”
“We are not our station in life. We are us - the sum of what we've done, what we want to do, and the people who we keep close.”
I received this from Penguin Random House in exchange for an honest review