by Kendare Blake
TOR Teen Book
Suggested Ages: 13 + (just for gore factor)
Buy from Indigo
Description: Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life
The Good Stuff
- Hooked me in from the first paragraph and it never let me go
- Dark, macabre, spooky, eerie - yeah I know repetitive - but its been a while since I read what used to be my favorite type of book
- Brilliant use of humour - the dark and twisted kind
- Set in Thunder Bay (if you have ever been there, you know its a fab setting for a ghost story)
- Gideon reminds me a little of Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Intriguing and unique story idea
- Nothing stereotypical (You will get what I mean when you read)
- Adults are not douche bags - in other words this will appeal to teens and adults
- Intriguing and well developed realistic secondary characters
- New favorite - could not wait to get to work to tell staff and customers all about it (yup now has the JR staff pick sticker)
- FYI - Ms Blake - may fangirl you at BEA
- I was supposed to be cleaning my house damn you dark creepy book
- Have a hard time dealing with romantic attachments between ghosts and the living (Hey I am a practical girl) but story is written so well I almost let go of this
- The cat - you know what I mean Kendare - made me feckin cry (Sorry spoiler alert - too late)
`My mom is there, chopping herbs for what may be dinner or might be one of her wide variety of magic spells``
``I keep thinking of of nomadic native tribes, and how they could pack up an entire civilization in an hour to follow some buffalo. When did human beings start acquiring so much crap?``
`Walmart is a convenient place for the breathing, but I have never seen a ghost comparing prices on motor oil or trying to jimmy his way into the Xbox 360 game case.`
I picked this up a long time ago and am finally getting to reading it - damn another one that I could have been telling my customers about long ago (yup and picked up the sequel tonight)