by James Dashner
Delacorte Press (Random House)
Suggested Ages 12+
Buy from Indigo
Release Date: August 14, 2012
Description: he prequel to the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series.
Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.
Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next. Now a disease of rage and lunacy races across the eastern United States, and there’s something suspicious about its origin. Worse yet, it’s mutating, and all evidence suggests that it will bring humanity to its knees.
Mark and Trina are convinced there’s a way to save those left living from descending into madness. And they’re determined to find it—if they can stay alive. Because in this new, devastated world, every life has a price. And to some, you’re worth more dead than alive.
The Good Stuff
- fast paced non stop action - you are constantly on the edge of your seat
- Intriguing male protagonist
- Nice dark humour
- Love the relationship between Mark and Alec - most of the best scenes involved the two of them
- Will break your heart at times
- adore Dashner's writing style, he is one of those gifted storytellers whom I admire
- Good tie in to the Maze Runner series, really gives a good back-story to the series
- I know its not really important - but I love the cover!
- Very much highlights the willpower that humans have to live no matter what
- I dare you not to fall in love with Alec
- Fabulous ending if there is going to be another prequel - and if there isn't Mr Dashner I just may have to slap you (BTW you were totally adorable at BEA and I have a mad geek crush on you now)
The Not So Good Stuff
- intense and hard to read at times - so much death and mentions young children - I am such a pansy but any mentions of death or abuse of children sickens me and had to put book down for a while
- Could have used a wee bit more character development
- not a lot of hope in this one my friends - not a bad thing, but its something I prefer
``The girl loved to read like no one else, and she was making up for the months they spent literally running for their lives. when books were few and far behind. The digital kind were all long gone, as far as Mark could guess - wiped away when the computers and servers all fried. Trina read the old-school paper kind.
Òh, I`m good. Seriously, after all these years, you`d think I would stop amazing myself. But here I am, still doing it.``
``Crazy buggers is right - I was hoping they`d all die in the fire.`Mark said it before realizing how terrible it sounded. But the side of him that wanted to survive at all costs - that had become ruthless over the last year - knew it was the truth.``
Who Should/Shouldn't Read
- Obviously fans of the Maze Runner series will lap it up
- Those who haven`t read this will be intrigued enough to read the rest of the series
- Good for reluctant YA readers
- If you like dystopian or post apocalyptic fiction, pretty sure you will like this
I received this from Random House in exchange for an honest review