by Jennifer Estep
Simon and Schuster
Buy from Indigo
Description: Old habits die hard. And I plan on murdering someone before the night is through. Killing used to be my regular gig, after all. Gin Blanco, aka the Spider, assassin-for-hire. And I was very good at it. Now, I’m ready to make the one hit that truly matters: Mab Monroe, the dangerous Fire elemental who murdered my family when I was thirteen.
Oh, I don’t think the mission will be easy, but turns out it’s a bit more problematic than expected. The bitch knows I’m coming for her. So now I’m up against the army of lethal bounty hunters she hired to track me down. She also put a price on my baby sister’s head. Keeping Bria safe is my first priority. Taking Mab out is a close second.
Good thing I’ve got my powerful Stone and Ice magic — and my irresistible lover Owen Grayson — to watch my back. This battle has been years in the making, and there’s a chance I won’t survive. But if I’m going down, then Mab’s coming with me...no matter what I have to do to make that happen.
The Good Stuff
- I cannot say what my favorite part of this was without ruining the whole book so just trust me if you have read the series so far, you will be cheering
- Lots of Finnegan - my book boyfriend (call me sweetheart, I may not look like much but I would so rock your world)
- Plenty of Jennifer's signature hilarious dialogue and food references -- you will laugh your ass off and crave meat at the same time (FYI, never read her books on an empty stomach)
- Awesome cover
- Fast paced on the edge of your seat action on many occasions
- Some good naughty stuff -- (cough cough call me Finn or Owen, not really picky)
- Fabulous and intriguing secondary characters
- Did I mention Finn
- Gin is really developing into a wonderfully richly drawn character -- who is seriously kick ass (I want to be her -- well without having to kill people or have seen my mom and sis murdered part)
- Lots of repetition of plot points -- you get used to it after a while, but just wanted to warn you
"Besides, vamps could live a long time, and prostitution was the world's oldest profession. It was always nice to have a skill to fall back on, especially given these tough economic times."
"To say that Finnegan Lane was something of a womanizer was like telling someone that it was a little steamy in the south in the summertime. Old, young, fat, thin, blonde, brunette, bald, toothless, face like a steel trap, Finn didn't care as long as it was breathing, female and had breasts to prove it. He wasn't even particular about how perky they were. Finn regarded pesky little things like wedding bands, engagement rings, and jealous, hulking menfolk more as amusing challenges than immovable obstacles that could be hazardous to his health. It always amazed me that some jilted husband hadn't hired me, the Spider, to kill my faster brother long ago."
"My foster brother said something to her, then pulled out the white silk handkerchief from the breast pocket of his suit. He passed the delicate fabric to Bria, who used it to wipe some of the blood of her face. Oh, yeah, Finn had it bad for my sister if he was offering up his precious silk to her."
Who Should/Shouldn't Read
- If you have read the rest of the series, you will thoroughly enjoy
- If you haven't read the series -- get thee to a book store (or library) immediately and buy the whole series (If you haven't read it - you can start with this one, she gives enough back story that you can enjoy)
- If you like Urban Fantasy laced with humour and yummy slightly naughty boys -- this is for you
I purchased this at Indigo and am not required to review -- but well, ya know I love me my Jennifer Estep and have to share