by Laurell K Hamilton
Buy from Indigo
Description: A serial killer is hunting the Pacific Northwest, murdering victims in a gruesome and spectacular way. The local police suspect “monsters” are involved, and have called in Anita Blake and Edward, US Marshals who really know their monsters, to catch the killer.
But some monsters are very real. The Harlequin have been the bogeymen of the vampire world for more than a thousand years; they are a secret so dark that even to speak their name can earn you a death sentence. Now they are here in America, hunting weretigers…and human police.
The Harlequin serve the Mother of All Darkness, the first vampire. She was supposed to be dead, but only her body was destroyed. Now she needs a new one, and she’s decided that Anita Blake’s is the body she wants. Edward thinks the serial killings are a trap to lure Anita closer to the most dangerous vampire they’ve ever hunted. The vampires call Edward “Death,” and Anita the “Executioner,” but Mommy Darkest is coming to kill one and possess the other, and she doesn’t care how many others have to die along the way
The Good Stuff
- Lots of Edward and Anita -- I love the dialogue between the two
- Anita is back to her kick ass self with a lot less of going on and on about the relationships between all the different types of Were's and their hierarchy
- Will be frank, I'm no prude, but I was happy that there wasn't the typical 7 or 8 kinky sex scenes like in the last few books. I've got no problem with it, but it was getting almost boring and it was taking away from the story
- Series is taking an upswing with this one, hopefully it will lead back into more of the stories that got me hooked on Anita in the first place
- Lots of fun snarky Anita dialogue
- Storyline moves quickly and the Marmie Darkness storyline is hopefully fully put to rest now
- Interesting plot twist with Olaf -- thinking that is what the next book will be about
- Liked the introduction of two new characters, Karlton and Ethan -- think they would be great regular characters
- Repetition of the Olaf is going to kill me or I'm going to kill him bit got on my nerves a little -- I got the point - let it go
- Ending was sorta rushed, like she just wanted to get it over with
"Edward still took assassination jobs if the pay was high enough, or the hit interesting enough. He specialized in killing only dangerous things, like wereanimals and vampires. Crime fighting had actually begun to take up most of his time. Work does interfere with your hobbies."
"Some days it's not about catching the bad guys. Some days it's about helping the good guys feel better. It had taken me a few years to realize that second part of the job was every bit important as the first."
"He still wants me to be his serial killer girlfriend?" I asked
"He still thinks you are his serial killer girlfriend"
What I Learned
- I could handle being Anita for a while -- that girl gets a lot of pretty boys
- Strictly for Anita Blake fans, as the new reader might get lost
- A good one for getting back into the series, if like me, you weren't impressed with the last 3 books
I received this from Penguin in exchange for an honest review