by Kiersten White
Suggested Ages: 12 + (For some violence)
Description: Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.
Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
The Good Stuff
- Absolutely delightful, I just really enjoyed this one
- Evie reminds me of a young Buffy
- Tons of cheeky smart ass comments which made me lmao on the bus -- must remember to stop reading fun or sad stuff on the bus, people stare
- Story runs nice and smoothly with tons of action
- Unusual story and truly unique
- Storyline and dialogue kept me immersed in the story and made me not want to put the book down
- Nice ending to the story, except now I am impatient for the next book in the story
- Brilliant and fun introductory chapter reminded me of Buffy and from than on, I was pretty sure I was going to love the book
- The book was so much fun and the ending intriguing that I need the next book now -- when the hell is the next book coming out
"Wait - did you - you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula posed, dropped to his sides. He pulled his exaggerated white fangs behind his lips. "What imminent death isn't exciting enough for you?"
"Oh stop pouting. But, really, the widow's peak? The pale skin? The black cape? Where did you even get that thing, a costume store?"
"Lish tried to swear--which is always funny, because the computer won't translate it. It went something like this: "Bleep stupid bleep bleep faeries and their bleep bleep bleep obsessions. He had better stop bleep bleep bleep the bleep bleep rules or I will bleep bleep bleep the little bleeeeeeeeeeep."
"You could try. And I could taser you again so hard you wouldn't wake up for six hours, giving you even less time to make it to Romania. So, can I keep reading you your rights?" He didn't say anything, and I picked up where I left off. "If you fail to report within the next twelve hours, you will be terminated. If you attack any humans, you will be terminated. If you attempt to remove the tracking device, you will be terminated. We look forward to working with you." I always thought that last line was a nice touch. "
What I Learned
- That I just plain prefer paranormal books with a quirky sense of humour
- Man I wish I had Evie's gifts
- Teens are so lucky, that they have all these fun choices for them to read, better than what we had at their age (wow, I'm feeling old today)
- Teens and adults with a sense of humor and a love for the paranormal
- Buffy fans would enjoy
- Fans of Jennifer Estep, MaryJanice Davidson and Julie Kenner will also enjoy