Note about my Reviews

Dear Authors: The reviews in this blog are only personal opinions. I have absolutely no background in literature, writing or reviewing. I am a Librarian (actually a Library Technician for those who care OR know the difference) with a love for a good story. The opinions in the reviews are ONLY my OPINIONS. I am not commenting on the writers ability since well -- I am not a writer and never will be. If you are the author of any of the books reviewed here, my opinion is just that and not a judgment against you!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

McClelland & Stewart will debut a book in serialized podcast format (The High Road by Terry Fallis)

A novel debut by McClelland & Stewart, coming soon to ear buds near you

TORONTO, June 1, 2010 —  For the first time in its 104-year book-publishing history, McClelland & Stewart will debut a book in serialized podcast format. 

Free audio episodes from The High Road by Terry Fallis will be posted weekly starting June 1, 2010, with the finale airing October 12, 2010. A print and e-book edition will be available for sale beginning September 7, 2010.

The High Road is the highly anticipated sequel to Terry Fallis’s award-winning novel, The Best Laid Plans. The High Road podcast will be read by the author and available, chapter by chapter, in its entirety, in audio download format from and iTunes, among other podcast directories.

This unconventional publishing strategy has already proven successful for Mr. Fallis. His first novel, The Best Laid Plans, began as a podcast, then was self-published, won the Stephen Leacock Award for Humour, and was re-published in print and e-book format to great reviews by McClelland & Stewart. The Best Laid Plans podcast has drawn 3500 subscribers from all over the world.

In a statement posted to his website, Mr. Fallis says:
“I’ve always been a firm believer in the power of podcasting to build an audience, even for literature. I also believe that if listeners like what they hear, even if it’s free, a good portion of them will go out and buy the book. …This decision reflects enlightened thinking by a traditional publisher and a willingness to test the social media waters and explore how it can help drive interest in, and sales of, a book. In this case, my book. Think of it as new media supporting old media.”

Doug Pepper, President and Publisher of McClelland & Stewart Ltd. says:
“For 104 years M&S has been staying on top of new trends and looking ahead for new ways to market books. We are excited about this opportunity to partner with a savvy author and be adventurous with a bold new idea to build an audience for our books. We expect that, as with the success of The Best Laid Plans, the free podcast will encourage pre-publication word of mouth and ultimately drive sales of the print and e-book editions that follow.”

Terry Fallis is the cofounder of Thornley Fallis, a public relations agency with offices in Ottawa and Toronto, that specializes in social media. He previously worked for Cabinet Ministers both at Queen's Park and in Ottawa.

The High Road by Terry Fallis (Emblem Editions, $19.99, original trade paperback) will be published in print and e-book format on September 7, 2010. This deeply funny satire continues the story of Angus McLintock, an amateur politician who dares to do the unthinkable: tell the truth. For more information please visit:

Listen now to the first chapter of The High Road by Terry Fallis:

McClelland & Stewart Ltd. was founded in 1906 and is one of Canada’s oldest and most prestigious publishing houses.  Called “a national treasure” by the Canada Council for the Arts, McClelland & Stewart is fondly known as “The Canadian Publisher” having published some of the finest Canadian writers, including Margaret Atwood, Alistair MacLeod, Rohinton Mistry, Alice Munro, Jane Urquhart and the late Pierre Elliott Trudeau. A national trade publisher, McClelland & Stewart publishes a wide range of awarding winning fiction and non-fiction, both Canadian and international authors, under the imprints McClelland & Stewart, Douglas Gibson Books, New Canadian Library and Emblem.

In 2001, Random House of Canada became a 25% owner of McClelland & Stewart. The other 75% was given as a gift to the University of Toronto by former owner Avie Bennett. Under the agreement, Random House of Canada provides various services to McClelland & Stewart. Together, Random House of Canada and McClelland & Stewart authors have won many prestigious awards, including The Governor General's Award, The Giller Prize, The Man Booker Prize, The Pulitzer Prize, Le Prix Médicis, and The National Business Book Award to name a few.

Frances Bedford, Publicity Manager
416-957-1565 or

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed Terry Fallis' first book and have just downloaded the first episode of this new one--looking forward to listening to it tomorrow!